International Conference of Philosophy for/with Children
“Philosophy for/with Children Inside and Outside of School”
University of Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
October 28 – 29, 2022
Philosophy for/with Children (P4/wC) emerged in the 1970s as an educational program designed to encourage students to think for themselves. Through the efforts of philosophers and educators, P4/wC has spread to over 80 countries on all continents, being practiced at the moment both inside and outside of school. Suitably, new practices have developed, some continuing but others being quite different from the initial approach (Lipman et al.).
This conference is an invitation to reflect on how all those concerned with P4/wC do philosophy in the classroom and/or other environments. The main objective of the conference is to question the practices of philosophy with/for children inside and outside of school, regardless of whether philosophy has or does not have a place in the curriculum and whether teachers and parents encourage or discourage children to think for themselves.
The International Conference “Philosophy with/for Children inside and outside of school” will take place in Bucharest, Romania, on October 28 and 29, 2022, under the auspices of CIVIS.
- Department of Practical Philosophy and History of Philosophy
- Center for Education in Philosophy
- LIDILEM Laboratory (Laboratoire de linguistique et didactique des langues étrangères et maternelles), University of Grenoble-Alpes
The working languages of the Conference are English, French, and Romanian.
The conference will be in a hybrid format.
The login links will be sent by e-mail to the registered people.
SPEECHES GIVEN BY OUR INVITED SPEAKERS
- La philosophie avec les enfants et les adolescents: une double visée, démocratique et philosophique, MICHEL TOZZI, Honorary University Professor in Educational Sciences at the Paul-Valéry University of Montpellier. President of the People’s University in Narbonne
- The role of moral problems and moral dilemmas in the Community of Philosophical Inquiry, FÉLIX GARCÍA MORIYÓN, Honorary professor of the Department of Specific Didactics of the Autonomous University of Madrid
- La philosophie pour enfants: finalités, objectifs, démarches, FRANÇOIS GALICHET, Honorary Professor at the University of Strasbourg
- Enjeux politiques et éthiques de la philosophie avec les enfants, EDWIGE CHIROUTER, University Professor, Philosophy of Education, University of Nantes. INSPE. CREN. Holder of the UNESCO Chair for “Philosophy Practices with Children: An Educative Basis for Intercultural Dialogue and Social Transformation”
- Après 20 ans à mener des recherches sur la pratique du dialogue philosophique: quel bilan en tirer, quels défis à relever?, MATHIEU GAGNON, Professor at Department of Preschool and Primary Education, University of Sherbrooke (Québec)
- Key questions for Philosophy with children – A philosophy didactical approach for teacher education, BETTINA BUSSMANN, Associate Professor at the Department of Philosophy KGW of the University of Salzburg
- L’apport des chercheures pour l’animation de dialogues philosophiques dans la cité, ANDA FOURNEL, Teacher – Researcher at the Department of Language Sciences & LIDILEM Laboratory, Grenoble Alpes University / JEAN-PASCAL SIMON, Associate Professor at the Department of Language Sciences & LIDILEM Laboratory, Grenoble Alpes University
- Beyond the confines of the usual speaking and of the usual thinking. Practicing philosophy with children using the philosophical classics as starting points, LUCA MORI, Ph.D., Lecturer of History of Philosophy at the University of Pisa, Degree Course in Sciences and techniques in clinical and health psychology
- Comment sont traitées les questions des enfants eux-mêmes dans une école où la philosophie est absente ?, MARIN BĂLAN, Ph.D., Lecturer at the Department of Practical Philosophy and History of Philosophy, The Faculty of Philosophy, University of Bucharest, Director of the Center of Education in Philosophy
POTENTIAL THEMES/TOPICS FOR EXPLORATION (PARALLEL SESSIONS)
- P4/wC practices and other philosophical practices
- Practical philosophy and P4/wC
- Challenges and possibilities in P4/wC inside and outside of school
- P4/wC practices: European experiences
- P4/wC practices: Romanian experiences
- Pedagogical aspects of the P4/wC practices
- The place and role of P4/wC practices in school (primary and secondary)
- P4/wC practices in the public space (outside school)
- Critical, creative, and caring thinking in P4/wC practices
- P4/wC practices in the online version: advantages and disadvantages
If you have study interests in P4/wC, we invite you to propose one presentation for one of these sessions.
RULES FOR PREPARING THE PRESENTATIONS
- Presentations will be scheduled for 30 minutes (including discussion).
- A presentation can be given in English, French, or Romanian.
- An author can propose only one presentation, but a presentation can have several authors; no extra time will be allocated for a contribution with several authors.
- You can prepare a short PowerPoint presentation of the material.
GUIDELINES FOR THE SUBMISSION OF ABSTRACTS
- Presentation proposals should have an abstract format.
- All abstracts must be written in English, regardless of the language in which the presentation is given.
- Your abstract should contain the following elements:
- Theme/Topic proposed for exploration
- Whether you intend to present in person or virtually
- The title of your presentation
- Abstract body (around 300 words)
- Key-words: 4-5 words or phrases
- Abstracts should be accompanied by a short CV, also including some details about the author(s):
- Full first and family name(s)
- Professional affiliation(s)
- City, country
- Contact details: e-mail address
- Please prepare a variant for blind review, with all self-reference and personal data suppressed.
- All documents (abstract, abstract variant for blind review, and CV) must be submitted in Microsoft Word format (.docx or .doc) only, via e-mail, to the e-mail address: email@example.com
Clarifications regarding the submission of abstracts
- Only proposals whose topics correspond to the theme of the conference are accepted.
- Every submission is checked for plagiarism before being sent for review.
- The organizers reserve the right to change the Theme/Topic under which the abstract was originally submitted.
- Abstract submission deadline: September 20, 2022
- Abstract submission will be open on September 1, 2022
- Notification of abstract acceptance/rejection: October 5-10, 2022
- The Conference schedule will be posted around October 20, 2022.
- Listeners Registration (participating in the conference without presentation): October 23-25, 2022.
- Conference Days: October 28-29, 2022
Viorel Vizureanu (President), Professor, Dean of the Faculty of Philosophy, University of Bucharest, Romania
Vihren Buzov, Professor, Vice-Rector for Quality Management and Accreditation, Head of Department of Philosophical Sciences, St. Cyril and St. Methodius University of Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
Eugenia Bogatu, Associate Professor. Department of Philosophy and Anthropology, Faculty of History and Philosophy, State University of Moldova, Republic of Moldova
Jean-Pascal SIMON, Associate Professor, Department of Language Sciences & LIDILEM Laboratory, Grenoble Alpes University, France
Cristian Iftode, Associate Professor, Head of Department of Practical Philosophy and History of Philosophy, Faculty of Philosophy, University of Bucharest, Romania
Marin Balan (Director), Ph.D., Lecturer at the Faculty of Philosophy, University of Bucharest, Romania / Director of the Center for Education in Philosophy
Anda Fournel, Ph.D., Teacher – Researcher, Department of Language Sciences & LIDILEM Laboratory, Grenoble Alpes University, France
Lilian Ciachir, Scientific Collaborator and Coordinator of the activities and programs of the UNESCO Chair, Faculty of Philosophy, University of Bucharest, Romania
Faculty of Philosophy, University of Bucharest, Romania
- The activities of the conference will take place in a hybrid format.
- The University of Bucharest does not cover any costs for participants.
- The conference is not funded or sponsored.
- No fee for participation.
- Photography, video, or audio recording of the presentations and/or distribution of the Conference material is prohibited unless written permission has been acquired.