Dana Jalobeanu is Associate Professor in the Department of Theoretical Philosophy and Director of the Institute for Research in the Humanities, University of Bucharest. She is the co-editor of the Journal of Early Modern Studies. Trained as a physicist and a philosopher, she is mainly interested in the emergence of experimental philosophy, in the seventeenth century. Recent publications: Dana Jalobeanu, The Art of Experimental Natural History: Francis Bacon in Context, Zeta Books: Bucharest, 2015, Dana Jalobeanu, “Borders,” “Leaps” and “Orbs of Virtue:” A Contextual Reconstruction of Francis Bacon’s Extension-Related Concepts, in Boundaries, Extents and Circulations: Space and Spatiality in Early Modern Philosophy, edited by Koen Vermeir and Jonathan Regier, Studies in History and Philosophy of Science 41, Dordrecht: Springer, 2016, Guido Giglioni, James Lancaster, Sorana Corneanu, Dana Jalobeanu, (eds.) Francis Bacon on Motion and Power, Springer, 2016.
Research projects (selection)
She is currently the Principal Investigator of the research project (PCE) The emergence of mathematical physics in the context of experimental philosophy (https://emergenceofmathematicalphysics.wordpress.com/ )
2012-2016, PI of the PCE research project From natural history to science: the emergence of experimental philosophy, http://blogs.ub-filosofie.ro/pce/
2008-2012, member of an ERC Starting Grant research project Medicine of the Mind in Seventeenth Century England: A New Interpretation of Francis Bacon (a grant jointly held by Warburg Institute, School of Advanced Studies, London, and New Europe College, Bucharest)
Visiting fellowships (selection)
August-September 2017 Visiting fellow at Max Planck Institute for History of Science, Berlin
June-July 2015 Visiting fellow at Max Planck Institute for History of Science, Berlin
April-May 2012 Visiting fellow at Princeton University
February-June 2006, Mellon Fellowship at Warburg Institute, London
AOS: history and philosophy of early modern science (from Bacon to Newton), philosophy of scientific experimentation
AOC: philosophy of science, early modern thought
Courses taught (sample)
- Philosophy of science (undergraduate)
- Philosophy of science (advanced)
- Natural philosophy and the origins of modern science
- From natural philosophy to Newtonian physics: space, time and theories of matter in early modern Europe
- Philosophical cosmology: from Plato to Einstein
- Science and utopia
- The emergence of experimental philosophy
- Early modern concepts of space
Since 2009, Dana Jalobeanu is also organizing the CELFIS seminar, the weekly research seminar in history and philosophy of science (every Wednesday, from 6 pm).
Dana Jalobeanu, The Art of Experimental Natural History: Francis Bacon in Context, Zeta Books: București (2015), ISBN: 978-606-8266-92-3 (ebook), ISBN: 978-606-8266-93-0 (paperback)
——, Inventarea modernităţii : Filosofie naturală şi teologie în secolul al XVII-lea,(The invention of modernity: natural philosophy, science and theology in 17th century) Cluj: Editura Napoca Star, 2006
Dana Jalobeanu, The Hunt of Pan: Francis Bacon’s Art of Experimentation and the Invention of Science, Zeta Books: Bucharest 2017 (forthcoming)
- Guido Giglioni, James Lancaster, Sorana Corneanu, Dana Jalobeanu, Francis Bacon on motion and power, Springer, 2016.
- Dana Jalobeanu, Peter Anstey, eds., Vanishing matter and the laws of nature, Routledge: London, 2011
- Dana Jalobeanu, Vlad Alexandrescu, eds., Esprits modernes. Etudes sur la formation de pensee scientifique aux XVIIéme et XVIIIéme siecles, « Vasile Goldis » University Press, Editura Universitatii Bucuresti, 2002
- Dana Jalobeanu, Doina Cristina Rusu eds. Cosmologie filosofică. Texte Fundamentale: I. Renașterea și modernitatea timpurie, Editura Universității din București, 2015.
- Francis Bacon, Cele două cărți ale lui Francis Bacon despre progresul și excelența cunoașterii, traducere si note de Dana Jalobeanu și Grigore Vida, studiu introductiv de Dana Jalobeanu, Humanitas 2012 (first Romanian translation of The Advancement of Learning).
- Dana Jalobeanu, ed., Casa lui Solomon sau fascinatia utopiei, (realized together with Grigore Vida, Doina Cristina Rusu, Oana Matei and Cristian Bente), ALL Publishing House Bucuresti, 2011
- Francis Bacon, Noua Atlantida, (translation, with introduction and notes) Editura Nemira, Bucuresti, 2007
- Francis Bacon, Sylva Sylvarum (translated by Dana Jalobeanu, Doina Cristina Rusu, Claudia Dumitru, Oana Matei and Grigore Vida, with an introductory study by Dana Jalobeanu), Humanitas: Bucharest (forthcoming 2017)
- Dana Jalobeanu, David Marshall Miller (eds), The Cambridge History of Philosophy of the Scientific Revolution, Cambridge University Press (under contract, due to appear in 2019)
- Dana Jalobeanu, Charles Wolfe (eds) The Encyclopedia of Early Modern Philosophy and the Sciences, Springer (under contract, due to appear in print in 2019)
journal articles (selection)
- Dana Jalobeanu, Disciplining experience: Francis Bacon’s experimental series and the art of experimentation, Perspectives on Science, 24 (2016): 324-342
- Dana Jalobeanu, The toolbox of the early modern natural historian: Notebooks, commonplace books and the emergence of laboratory records, Journal of Early Modern Studies, 4 (2015): 107-123.
- Dana Jalobeanu, Magnificent Principia, Physics Today 68 (2015): 45-46.
- Dana Jalobeanu, Robert Boyle’s Experimental Philosophy Revisited, Society and Politics 9 (2015): 100-102.
- Dana Jalobeanu, Elements of natural history in Sidereus nuncius, Revue Roumaine de Philosophie, 58 (2014): 55-77.
- Dana Jalobeanu, The Principia for the common-reader: A New Trend in Newtonian Scholarship?, Societate și Politică, 8 (2), (2014): 100-103.
- ——-, Learning from experiment: classification, concept formation and modeling in Francis Bacon’s experimental philosophy, Revue Roumaine de philosophie 57 (2013): 75-93.
- ——-, Francis Bacon, Early Modern Baconians and the Idols of Baconian Scholarship: Introductory study, Societate si Politica 7 (2013): 5-28
- ———, Idolatry, Natural History and Spiritual Medicine: Francis Bacon and the Neo-Stoic Protestantism of the Late Sixteenth Century, Perspectives on Science, 21 (2012): 207-226.
- Sorana Corneanu, Dana Jalobeanu, Guido Giglioni, Introduction: The Place of Natural History in Francis Bacon’s Natural Philosophy, Early Science and Medicine 17 (2012): 1-10
- Sorana Corneanu, Dana Jalobeanu, Guido Giglioni, Introduction: Francis Bacon and the Medicine of the Mind, Perspectives on Science 21 (2012): 135-138
- Dana Jalobeanu, Francis Bacon’s natural history and the Senecan Natural Histories of Early Modern Europe, Early Science and Medicine, 17 (2012): 197-229.
- Dana Jalobeanu, Core experiments, natural histories and the art of experientia literata: the meaning of Baconian experimentation, in Society and Politics, 5 (2011): 88-103.
- ———, The Philosophy of Francis Bacon’s Natural History: a Research Program, Studii de ştiinţă şi cultură, 4 (2010): 18-37
- ——–, Space, bodies and geometry: Some sources of Newton’s metaphysics, in Notions of Space and Time by Frank Linhardt, Zeitsprunge, Forschungen zur Fruher Neuzeit , 11 (2007): 81-113.
- ——–, The politics of science and the origins of modernity: Building consensus in Early Royal Society, in Zeitsprunge, Forschungen zur Fruher Neuzeit, 10 (2006) 386-400.
- ———-, Solidifying Cartesian shapes: Newton on abolute space and the creation of matter”, in Revue roumaine de philosophie, 50 (2006) 85-113
- ———-, Philosophy, sectarianism and the reformation of knowledge in seventeenth century: Some ideas for rewriting the history of the Scientific Revolution, in Revue roumaine de philosophie, 49 (2005) 163-181
- ———, The missing part of a definition: Clarke, Newton’s sect and another way of saving the miracles in seventeenth century, ARCHES, 7 (2004)
- ———–, Le modele mathematique de l’individuation chez Descartes, ARCHES 5 (2003) 81-111
Articles in edited volumes
- Dana Jalobeanu, “Borders,” “Leaps” and “Orbs of Virtue:” A Contextual Reconstruction of Francis Bacon’s Extension-Related Concepts, in Boundaries, Extents and Circulations: Space and Spatiality in Early Modern Philosophy, edited by Koen Vermeir and Jonathan Regier, Studies in History and Philosophy of Science 41, Dordrecht: Springer, 2016.
- Dana Jalobeanu, “The marriage of physics with mathematics:” Francis Bacon on measurement, mathematics and the construction of a mathematical physics, in The Language of nature. Reassessing the Mathematization of Natural Philosophy in the Seventeenth Century, edited by G. Gordon, B. Hill, E. Slowik and K. Waters, Minnesota Studies in Philosophy of Science, 20 (2016): 51-81.
- Dana Jalobeanu, Bacon’s apples: A case study in Baconian experimentation, in Giglioni et. all., Francis Bacon on motion and Power, Springer, (2016): 83-113
- —– , A natural history of the heavens: Francis Bacon’s anti-Copernicanism, in The making of Copernicus edited by Wolfgang Neuber, Thomas Rahn and Claus Zittel, special issue of Intersections: Interdisciplinary Studies in Early Modern Culture, Brill, (2014): 64-88
- —–, The French reception of Francis Bacon’s natural history in mid seventeenth century, in Elodie Cassan, ed. Bacon et Descartes: Genese de la modernite philosophique, Editions ENS Lyon (2014)
- —–, Constructing natural historical facts : Baconian natural history in Newton’s first paper on light and colours, in Zvi Biener, Eric Schliesser, Newton and Empiricism, Oxford: Oxford University Press, (2014).
- —–, The nature of body, in Peter Anstey, ed. The Oxford Handbook of British Philosophy in the Seventeenth Century, Oxford University Press, (2013): 213-240.
- —–, Francis Bacon and Justus Lipsius: Natural philosophy, natural theology and Stoic discipline of the mind, in Hiro Hirai and Jan Papy, eds., Justus Lipsius and Natural Philosophy, Brussels, Royal Academy of Belgium, (2011): 107-121.
- ——, The Cartesians of the Royal Society: the debate over collisions and the nature of bodies of 1669-1670, in Jalobeanu, Anstey, Vanishing matter and the laws of nature, London: Routledge, (2011).
- ——, Experimental philosophers and doctors of the mind: the appropriation of a philosophical tradition, in Vlad Alexandrescu, Robert Theis eds., Naturel et surnaturel. Philosophies de la nature et metaphysique aux XVI-XVII siecles, Georg Olms Verlag, Hildesheim, (2010): 37-63
- ——, The fascination of Solomon’s House in seventeenth century England, in Vlad Alexandrescu, Branching off: The Early Moderns in quest of the unity of knowledge, Zeta Books, Bucharest, (2009): 225-56.
- ——, Bacon’s Brotherhood and Its Classical Sources, in Carl Zittel, Gisela Engel, Nanni R. and Nicole C. Karafyllis Philosophies of Technology: Francis Bacon and His Contemporaries, Leiden: Brill, (2008): 197-231
- ——, The two cosmologies of Rene Descartes, in Esprits modernes, Dana Jalobeanu, Vlad Alexandrescu, “Vasile Goldis” University Press, (2002): 75-95.
guest editor of journal special issues
- Dana Jalobeanu, Cesare Pastorino, Instruments and arts of inquiry: natural history, natural magic and the production of knowledge in early modern Europe, special issue of the Journal of Early Modern Studies April 2014
- Dana Jalobeanu, The Creative Role of Experimentation in Early Modern Europe, special issue of the Journal of Early Modern Studies 2 (2012), http://www.zetabooks.com/new-releases/journal-of-early-modern-studies-volume-2-issue-1-spring.html
- Sorana Corneanu, Guido Giglioni, Dana Jalobeanu, eds., Francis Bacon and the Medicine of the Mind: Renaissance Contexts, special issue of Perspectives on Science 2/2012
- Sorana Corneanu, Guido Giglioni, Dana Jalobeanu, eds., Francis Bacon and the Reconfiguration of Early Modern Natural History, special issue of the Early Science and Medicine, 1-2/2012
- Dana Jalobeanu, ed. Re-inventing utopia: politics, science and religion in Early Modern Europe, special number of Studii de ştiinţă şi cultură, 23/ 2010
- Dana Jalobeanu, Branduşa Palade, eds. Revolutions in science/Revolutions in thought, KRISIS, 8-9, 1999